Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Birthday Cake = Homeschool Success

Have I been teaching Patty to bake in school? Nope. What about cake decorating? Nope. So why then do I consider this birthday cake to be a homeschooling success? It's because this shows that I accomplished one of my main goals this year, and that is to instill in her a love for history. Patty doesn't think of history as a bunch of dates and old people, but rather as a collection of really great stories. So when she chose Ancient Egypt as the theme for her birthday cake, I was thrilled. That was of course before I realized that I now had to figure out how to deliver on that one. It's not perfect, but she loved it and that's all that matters. So you can keep your Disney Princess and Barbie cakes, we're eating history around here.


4 comments:

  1. So, you were worried that she didn't like history. Obviously, you were in De"nile" ...

    LOL! Nice cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to post a comment before but it wouldn't let me. Neat looking cake and it looks really yummy. I am glad that you are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you make the pyramid? It looks great. My son is also celebrating his birthday with a homeschool history inspired Ancient Egypt theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolie, If I remember correctly, I just stacked pieces of extra cake, then shaped the pyramid with a serrated knife. My decorating skills are very beginner as you can see :) I think I just piped flat rows around the pyramid, then used a toothpick to make lines dividing it into "bricks". My frosting was too soft though, so you can't really see the brick details. Hope this helps, and Happy Birthday to your son!

      Delete